Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Time For Kubuntu?

Well, XFree86 has crapped out on me. I tried installing KDE headers to compile an application, and in the process it needed to upgrade XF86 and install X.org. Why, I don't know, but I let it continue. I clearly remember what happened before when I upgraded and swiched the X server to X.org, so this time I told it to use the XF86 server instead. Well, today I booted up to a text login prompt. I logged in as root to see what was up. Running "startx", I get the message telling me that /etc/X11/X is not executable. I changed into that directory and tried a ./X, but I got the message "/etc/X11/X - no such file or directory".

At this point, I don't know what's going on. I'm guessing that "X" is a symlink and it links to somewhere that I don't know.

Well, I guess Kanotix had it's run. I'll probably make a couple more attempts to revive it, but in some aspects I'm glad that I may have an excuse to try another distro.

Lately I'm getting all hyped over Kubuntu. I installed it on the MythTV box (now, we have a TiVo) and I really like it. That computer is lacking in speed and decent ram, but Kubuntu still runs really well on it. When I first heard about Ubuntu, I was a little concerned that it was incompatible with the Debian package repositories, but after trying it out, I found most of the applications I need are in the Ubuntu repositories. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's because people can contribute to the multiverse repository.

One thing that I'm really looking forward to using Kubuntu is Hibernation. I never got SWSP working on Kanotix, and now I'm probably not going to. I know Ubuntu has hibernation built in, and I'm pretty sure that Kubuntu does too.

So, I'm probably going to end up putting Kubuntu on here.

Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home