Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Kanotix First Impressions: uhh...

OK, I've been having some Kanotix problems. I was able to install it fine and it booted up fine, but the problems started when I tried to upgrade it.

I did an "apt-get dist-upgrade" (yes, while in KDE). It had to download a little more than 500 packages, downloading took about 8 minutes.

Then while it was installing, it asked me weather to use XFree86 or X.org. Knowing that X.org was better, I selected that. I got an error message that it was unable to infer the "keyboard/lang" layout from the old XFree config file, but I didn't think that there would be problems...

One reboot later, I was in text mode. I logged in and issued the command "startx" only to be greeted by "xinit: server error", and I couldn't figure out why it couldn't. I messed around with the config file, unable to get it working.

Following Pat's suggestion on the TLLTS IRC chat (scroll down to 20:38), I ran "xorgconfig" to try to generate a new config file. I am a good 98% sure that all of the settings I made were correct, but Xorg just didn't want to start...

Sooo... I re-installed Kanotix a few days after doing all this, but this time I was going to switch to init 3 before doing the upgrade... still no go. I was still faced with the same problem.

But... after logging into root and running "Xorg", I was able to successfully start the X server, but I don't know how to start KDE after that, and I can't run it as a normal user.

So that's where I'm at with Kanotix right now. I may be forced to use XFree, but I hope not. (If anyone can help, please do!)

But besides that, I still have a few bones to pick with Kanotix. Upon Live CD boot, everything is gorgeous. But when I wanted to install it, I couldn't find a program to do that anywhere. I had to Google it (which meant configuring ndiswrapper). I'll admit that it was easy to find out on the web, but it should be much more intuitive. Mepis had an icon on the desktop to do that...

Anyway, you have to run "kanotix-installer" as root to get it installed. The installer itself needs work, too. It's not Xdialog, but it looks pretty similar.

But after looking at the files on the CD, I found some things that would have made the distro easier to use. For example, in the same directory as the installer script, I found a script called "kanotix-ndiswrapper" which can setup Ndiswrapper to work with your wireless card if you have the .inf and .sys file.

But otherwise, it looked good. I wish I could use it with X.org.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home