Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I Got a Nice Letter Today

Today I opened my mailbox and, what did I find? I found a letter from Microsoft. I opened it up and found a nice little sheet of paper about a class action lawsuit against Microsoft. They are going to pay me for each copy of Windows/Office that I bought from 1994-2004. They will pay me:
  • $12 for every copy of Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, or Millennium
  • $5 for every other version of Windows (including MS-DOS)
  • $5 for Office, Excel, or Word
Also attached was a list of products that I already registered with them. I haven't registered all of my copies with them, but I did register 1 copy of 95, and 2 copies of XP. Right off the bat, I can think of another copy of 95, a copy of 98, another copy of XP, and 2 copies of Office. In total, that's $68 right there.

It's about time Microsoft paid me something for all the hours I've had to fix Windows because of problems that are their fault in the first place.

I never thought I'd say it, but... thanks Microsoft!

3 Comments:

  • At 3/31/2006 04:17:00 PM, Blogger Justin said…

    I read some more and apparently they give you a voucher good for desktop/laptop/tablet computers (and they even say in bold It does not have to be a Microsoft product, which I find strange), printers, scanners, keyboards, or input devices (and I think I'm missing one, but I don't feel like looking).

    It's not as good as cash, but it's good enough to get a nice new printer complete with a memory card reader and a color screen :-)

     
  • At 4/03/2006 02:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't thank Microsoft.... thank the good folks who decided to not let them get away with any more of their crap and sued them in the first place.

     
  • At 10/24/2006 11:41:00 PM, Blogger supermike said…

    I used to work at Microsoft and another company they owned as well called Avanade. Man, the stories I could tell you. I now hate anything Microsoft and have been doing nothing but Linux for 5 years now. I do PHP/Python/MySQL/PostgreSQL web development as well as IT operations work. Say, I blog on Linux too -- perhaps my blog may show some useful tips to you. I'm Supermike.

    Meanwhile, I'll bookmark this blog. Thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home