Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Monday, November 14, 2005

Whoa, Talk About Speed!

I finished compiling the Kernel and following a couple of HOWTOs. Yesterday, I was able to hibernate and resume successfully using Software Suspend 2 with NVidia drivers. Thanks to everyone in the Ubuntu community who made those HOWTOs possible.

Everything was working well, but I wasn't too impressed with the speed of hibernation. It took about 30 seconds to hibernate and slightly less to resume. I went back to the HOWTO, and re-read a section where it instructed you to compile proper support for your IDE. I didn't find mine on the list (I have an Intel ICH5 SATA). I had compiled in SATA support, but apparently that didn't help because I was getting around 5 MB/s read and 6 MB/s write.

I started googling for answers, and found a site that had some info on my specific IDE chipset. It said that the Intel PIIX driver worked with my chipset. I recompiled the Kernel with that driver included (this time it only took a few minutes) and wow! I rebooted and it started up quicker than it ever did! It now hibernates in about 5 seconds and resumes in about 6. I looked at the speed, and now I have a whopping 51 MB/s write speed and 48 MB/s read speed. Hibernating is faster than it has ever been on Windows (take that Microsoft!) and now everything in Linux is faster.

Enter 'gloat' mode :)

1 Comments:

  • At 12/16/2005 10:31:00 AM, Blogger Justin said…

    That's a good idea. Hibernation works so well in Linux, but so few people are able to experience it. I think I'll do that and post it as a newer entry.

    Just as a note: for the G/LUS, you should note a couple things:
    - It involves recompiling the kernel
    - To hibernate with the proprietary NVidia drivers, you need to do a little hack.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home