Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

KDE 3.5 Features

I just checked the KDE site to see that KDE 3.5 has been released. And along with this new release, there are some cool new features. I'll just highlight them for ya.

  • Kicker has some nice improvements. The Pager (desktop switcher) now shows application icons so you can tell which application is running on which desktop. Also, the tooltips have been extended (not exactly sure what that means, though).
  • SuperKaramba is now included in KDE. The last time I tried this, I really hated it. Now that it is included within KDE, it should (hopefully) improve.
  • Konqueror now includes KHTML improvements so that it can pass the Acid2 test (which was done a while ago, but was not included until now). Konqueror now has Adblock functionality, so you can easilly block out annoying ads.
  • Kopete got some nice improvements. Now it can handle MSN and Yahoo webcams (yes!). Also, custom MSN emotions are supported now.
  • KDE now has good support for external media (although Gnome has for a while now). Now if you insert any media device, KDE will present a dialog similar to the one in XP. Definately cool.

I'm looking forward to trying this new release of KDE.

Check it out

2 Comments:

  • At 11/30/2005 12:59:00 PM, Blogger p0z3r said…

    What exactly didn't you find appealing about SuperKaramba? Give us some feedback so that we can improve it for everyone.

     
  • At 11/30/2005 03:07:00 PM, Blogger Justin said…

    I just don't really like it. I know that's an awfully generic thing to say, but I can't really find a specific thing that I can point my finger at. It just seemed kind of buggy when I used it a while ago.

    Although, I do remember that it was hard to use. Installing themes required you to download, extract into a specific directory, and them manually browse for a theme file. And you'd have to browse for the theme you want every time you want to load one. Compare that to GDesklets, where you can paste the URL of the 'desklet' and it will download it and install it for you.

    But I will give you this - I just tried it out with LiquidWeather, and I like what I see. I like the smooth transitions that isn't in GDesklets (at least, no widgets that I've seen).

    Thanks for stopping by.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home