Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Good Ads and Bad Ads

So you've got a popular (or maybe semi-popular) website and you want to get a little money off of it. The best solution, of course, it an ad on the site. What kinds of ads should you get? In my opinion, these are two types of good ads:

  • Any sort of text ad (aka Google AdSense)
  • Any type of ad that does not draw the user away from the site's content

But what about the bad ads? In my opinion:

  • All kinds of pop-ups (especially the ones that exploit the FF problem)
  • Flashy animated GIF ads (I deeply hate the flashy "You're an instant winner! Click here to claim your prize")
  • Flash ads. Not only are they annoying, they sometimes create noise and cause older machines to slow down
  • Any sort of ad that draws the user away from the site's content
  • Any ad that gets annoying to look at

There are a lot of honest users out there who want to make some money for their time. I deeply understand that (hey, I have a text ad on this blog). I'll even click on them if I enjoy the content that is on the site. But when the ads start to get annoying and draw me away from the content, that's where I draw the line. I come to a website to look at the content, not be bombarded by pop-ups and flash ads. I don't feel guilty blocking those, but I do feel guilty blocking the un-annoying ones.

I stopped using Adblock for awhile, but I re-installed it today. I'm trying to use it only to block bad ads, and I like what I've achieved so far.

To those of you who use Adblock as well: don't block out good ads! They're not annoying at all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home