Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Saturday, November 12, 2005

A Cup of Ubuntu

Well, I tried Kubuntu and wasn't too impressed by it. I really like it on my other desktop, when I didn't have any real goals for it, but I was expecting slightly more out of it here. It worked OK, but I couldn't find any hint of Hibernation... anywhere.

So, I installed regular Ubuntu, and I'm really liking it. Hibernation works great. I also discovered that Ubuntu uses the original version of Software Suspend, as opposed to the new Software Suspend 2 that I was trying before. It seems to be working fine, but if I come across any problems, I'll install the newer version.

And I've also learned to appreciate Gnome. Up until now, I've basically had the opinion that Gnome went in the wrong direction when they moved the main menu up to the top of the screen. But, it doesn't bug me. At all.

I'm also noticing that Gnome has some nice bells and whistles that I haven't had with KDE before. For example, when I insert a DVD, it opens up Totem. When I insert a regular CD, it auto-mounts it and opens it with Nautilus.

On Fedora, I really hated Nautilus. But on Ubuntu, they've changed it around so it is much more usable. I still favor Konqueror, but I can now actually imagine using it.

But, my life is still not complete without KDE. So, I installed "kubuntu-desktop" and now I have Kubuntu and Ubuntu together in one. I'm going to try to use Gnome more and see what happens.

Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home