Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Monday, October 17, 2005

VNC Working Like a Charm

I just discovered the wonders of VNC, and is it wonderful.

For a while, I was looking for a Linux equivalent (I like to avoid using the word "alternative", because that usually suggests that it's not as good) to Remotely Anywhere for a while now, but I never really got around to it until yesterday. I looked into alternatives, and found out that there is a great java applet which can connect to a VNC session from a web page, and works on any Browser/OS combination that has Java.

I have the vnc-java package installed, so vncserver can actually start a web server, but I already have a web server running. So, I downloaded the latest Java app from the TightVNC site (even though that's not the server I'm using) and copied it into a vnc directory in my web server. I set it up with the right screen resolution, and it worked great from my local computer (and others on the network).

With success, I forwarded TCP ports 80 and 5109 to my computer and tried it at work. Success! It worked great the first time I tried it. The only drawback was that it is kind of slow. Between the not so good upload speed of my internet here (around 300 KB/s) and the strict firewall at work, it was kind of slow. But, it still worked great! When I get FiOS service, I'll have 2 MB/s upload speed to use, so that should have a great improvement.

VNC Rocks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home