Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Gizmo for Linux - not ready for prime time

I finally got Gizmo for Linux to install and work correctly. It is currently in alpha, but even so, it lacks the features that the Windows and Mac versions have had since day 1. For example, Gizmo features call recording. I have not found that feature in the Linux version yet. Linux podcasters are probably better off with Skype Skype-rec for recording calls.

But probably my biggest problem with Gizmo is the configuration ? there is none. I can't even find a configuration file for it. This is especially bad for me because I use a USB headset for calling my friends on the computer, which gets assigned /dev/dsp1 after plugging it in. I cannot find a way to change soundcards in Gizmo, and am unable to change anything.

What else doesn't it have?
  • IM (recently implemented)
  • 'Map It'
  • A call sidebar
  • Configuration - none at all
Those are some of the features I like about Gizmo. It seems the only plus to it is the nice interface and slightly better call quality (for broadband, at least).

So, in my opinion, Gizmo for Linux was somewhat of a letdown. It does have hope for the future, though. Hey, it's still in alpha. I don't think people will start using it until it has all the features of Windows and Mac.

Oh, and did I mention - they only release it as a Debian package and a Linspire package?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home