Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Monday, October 10, 2005

Firefox Troubles

Lately, I've been helping a friend design a website using purely XHTML and CSS (Yay! No tables). It is displaying perfectly in Konqueror, Mozilla, Opera, and even IE (yes, under wine). Firefox seems to be a problem.

Anyone with some CSS knowledge knows that a:link and a:hover control what links look like and what happens when you mouse over a link. In my case, I changed the colors and removed the underline for both of them. This seems to create a problem with FF.

When viewed in FF, the only links that those rules apply to are mailto: links. All other links seem to default back to the FF default. It displays fine in Mozilla, so I know it is not a Gecko problem. Just a FF problem. Nothing I do seems to change those links. I think this is just a problem specific to me, since those are so commonly used in CSS, but still...

Other than that, XHTML and CSS have been quite a pleasant experience. I just started using them, and they make web design so easy. Back in the days of Frontpage, I'd spend lots of time trying to perfect a website. Tables seemed too advanced for me, even with WYSIWYG. With CSS, all I have to do is specify a width and use float and can position content (separated with div tags and unique ID's) where I need them. I even ditched a WYSIWYG editor and am using Quanta, and man is that a good program. It has good indenting, previewing (without saving), great CSS support, tag completing (if I type in a br tag, it adds a / to the end of it) and so much more. I give it five cookies. (Get it? Oh, you're no fun)

But I really like the idea of a single CSS stylesheet that can affect the whole site. That will make changing anything so much easier than editing every page.

What I'm trying to figure out now is how to get a CSS calendar (as in 35 individual boxes). If possible, I want to stay away from layers, since all browsers seem to position them slightly differently. I'm seeing what else is possible.

May the Penguin be with you :)

1 Comments:

  • At 10/11/2005 02:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    a:link & a:hover doesn't seem to be a problem under FF ( windows XP ) , actually it works almost perfect under FF ( you can use .content:hover & change the box's CSS style when :Hover ) .
    no table , YAY! i hate tables when used in websites , Dev. are better :) .
    any browser have his own width ( & the OS's style ) so positioning is almost impossible unless you use percentages not pixels .
    //cheers

     

Post a Comment

<< Home