Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Saturday, October 22, 2005

BashPodder GUI

Jon informed me today that he's doing an episode about Podcatchers on his GNU/Linux User Show, and as part of it, he's doing a segment on Bashpodder and will mention my GUI. To make things easier for everyone, I thought that I'd post directions on how to use it here so Jon can just send people here to get info about it.

For those of you wondering about Linc's BP GUI, let me explain something: he has a version and I have a version. I wanted an easier way to use BashPodder, but had a horrible time trying to use his GUI because of the way it's set up. I really hate it. Because of that, I made my own version. I did not simply modify his version to make it work better and take all the credit, the code is mostly my own. I looked at his code mostly for refrence, but I can assure you, I'm not just copying him.

First, thanks to Linc for hosting it (You Rock!). You can download it here. Running it is pretty easy, just follow these directions:
  1. Make sure that you have Xdialog installed. If you have Debian, you can just do an 'apt-get install Xdialog' to install it.
  2. Extract the files. You can use a graphical tool like Ark, but if you don't have one, simply open a terminal (you'll need it later anyway) and issue this command:
    tar -zxf bpgui.tar.gz
  3. Now, open a terminal if you don't have one open and change into the bpgui directory:
    cd bpgui
  4. If you have used BashPodder before and already have a bp.conf file, then you can copy it into the bpgui directory and the script will offer to convert it so that it is compatible. If not, just ignore this.
  5. Now comes the fun! Run the script:
    ./bpgui.sh
Using the program is pretty self explanatory. First, add podcasts if you don't already have them. If you converted an old bp.conf, go to "Modify a Podcast" and set all the titles the way you like. Once all that's done, simply select "Scan for New Podcasts". Your podcasts will be saved in /home/(your username)/Podcasts.

Hope this helps!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home