Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Saturday, October 01, 2005

30 Gigabyte E-mail?

I saw this on digg today.

Apparently, there is a new site that is offering a free email account with 30 gigs of storage.

What's my opinion on this? First of all, I'm not sure if this will really make it into the mainstream like GMail did. Honestly - unless you're Adam Curry and have a GMail inbox that is 99% full most of the time, who really needs a 30 GB inbox? Honestly? I use email all the time for lots of uses, and I'm using up 202 MB of my GMail account. That's 8%. I am more than contempt with 2.6 GB.

Even so, users will probably be attracted by it. I don't know anything about the interface, but I can make some assumptions based upon the nature of the service.
  1. There are probably ads, or there will soon be ads (not just text ads)
  2. There are probably restrictions, possibly stricter than GMail
  3. There will probably be a little footer ad sent out in every email - god I hate that!
Other than the storage, it doesn't look like there is anything useful that GMail doesn't already have. In fact, there are features on GMail that I prefer over what they are advertising the service as.

'nuff said.
Tech Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home