Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Watch High-Quality Yahoo Videos on Linux

Once again, I came across this on digg. It's from UNEASYsilence.

Everyone who's tried to use LaunchCast probably knows that it requires Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player. You could probably get away from using WMP with MPlayer Plug-in, but it will not run without IE (I've tried using the agent switcher, and it didn't work).

Now, I'm glad I saw this. If you have the video ID (which is easy to obtain), you can use VLC (I assume MPlayer and/or Xine work too, but I haven't tried them) to play the 700 KB/s video. If you've ever used LaunchCast before, you know that the 700 KB/s is the high quality video, and you can usually only get it by paying a monthly subscription. Now you can play it without that.

Disclaimer: the information and the links here are provided for informational purposes only. I do not claim responsibility for anything done with them. Use at your own risk.

Here's how:
  1. Obtain a Video ID (find a link to a video, but right click and go to properties, and it is the consecutive number in the link)
  2. Go here, type in the Video ID and hit 'Grunt Big for Daddy'
  3. Copy the mms:// link and paste it into VLC using the HTTP method (yes, the mms:// and everything)
That's all.

UNEASYsilence Article

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home