Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

TechPodcasts.com Update

I just caught the latest episode of Linux Log. First and foremost, it is now called Linux News Log.

I was listening for the beginning introduction, and to start out with, I hate it (Adrian, if you're reading this, do away with it. That rock music is just annoying). But... after that he went through "I'm your host, Adrian...". After a few moments, here is exactly what he says:
Linux News Log is a proud member of the Tech Podcasts network: 'If it's tech, it's here'. Head on over to www.techpodcasts.com. If you like any of my shows, you most certainty will find at least one or two shows there you will like as well. So, great network, been with them since very early on. We're constantly adding new shows, so do feel free to head on over there and check them out.
Wow, what a waste of breath. I timed how long it took him to say that, and it took him a whole 27 seconds. That's an additional half minute that I have to sit there and wait before I can actually listen to the content.

But beyond that, I listened on. The news didn't actually start until about seven and a half minutes into the podcast. This is an example of what I like to call a waste of time. I calculated it, and that first seven and a half minutes of crap is actually about 5 MB. This raises problems. It makes the download bigger, which isn't a problem for people on broadband, but for dial up users this can mean a much longer download. It also takes up extra space. Sure, not a whole lot, but after you have 30 different episodes, that gets to be an extra 150 MB of introduction and crap. Disgusting.

In this whole Linux Log mishap, I've discovered what (I think) makes a good podcast. First of all, they shouldn't be longer than 40 minutes (although there are exceptions). I think that structured podcasts should be in this format:
  • A quick thirty second introduction (I really like the one on TLLTS)
  • A 1-2 minute (or so) description of the podcast, announcements, and the upcoming content
  • The main content
  • Any final thoughts on the content
  • A quick thirty second (or so) outtro with the website, email, IM, info like that.
And, of course, there are exceptions. I said that most podcasts shouldn't be longer than 40 minutes, but one exception is TLLTS. I actually try to set aside a full hour and 30 mins. every wednessday to listen to the show live, but most podcasts are pre-recorded.

One of the podcasts that I listen to that I feel really sticks to this kind of format is The GNU/Linux User Show. Keep up the good work!

But I digress. TechPodcasts.com sucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home