Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Friday, August 12, 2005

Systm - A Show by Kevin Rose

You probably remember all the MythTV adventures that I had. MythTV is a great program for someone who wants a DVR, mainly because it's free, you don't need to pay monthly costs to use it, and you can use it without special software, aka any computer (I'd say 1 GHz or more) that has a Linux supported TV tuner card.

I was browsing the Theora site today and found a link to a show done by Kevin Rose called Systm. I checked it out. The second show is all about MythTV. Here's the description:
Tired of shelling out hard earned cash to download the program listings of your DVR? Want to backup your videos but don't want to deal with the hassle of DRMed files? Kevin Rose & Dan Huard show you everything you need to know about the free and open source PVR alternative, MythTV. Build yours today!
The best part is that they have gone to great lengths to ensure that everyone can view the video, independent of Operating System or platform. Heck, you could play it on an Xbox if you wanted to. The video is available in:
  • H264
  • Theora
  • WMV
  • XviD (and I assume that's DivX compatible)
And each format is available in a high or low quality.

I watched this and I think that this is really great. They explain point-blank how to easily set up a Myth box and talk about common scenarios and problems. They used KnoppMyth, which I didn't because the machine I used has unusual hard drive configuration (KnoppMyth is easiest to install with one hard drive that is hda. Anything else needs a manual install which I wussed out and went with Anaconda :-) ). They said that the system coasted $300 to get all the parts (but of course, excluding things such as Monitors and Cases).

But the reason that I like it is because they have done some research and really prepared themselves. They really know what they are talking about and make the whole setup process seem like a breeze. And they don't seem to know MythTV only, but they also know about Linux in general. I like it.

Also check out some of their other episodes. I haven't yet, but they look interesting.

Systm Website
Theora Website
MythTV Website

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home