Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Thursday, August 25, 2005

The Super $500 MythTV Box!

I came across this on Digg today. This guy spent just under $500 on parts to build a MythTV box (Case and all) from scratch, and has provided a guide on how to install Gentoo onto it.

To me, having Gentoo on a MythTV box just makes sense. You can only compile what you know needs to be on there, thus eliminating all the crap running that is usually in binary distributions (I wussed out and went with Fedora on mine :-) )

But not only do you get rid of the crap, but you also get cleaner binaries by compiling it yourself. Sure it takes longer, but too bad :-)

I'm thinking about getting this, except possibly getting some of the stuff on eBay and using some parts I already have (for example, I have a TV Card already, and I may get a smaller hard drive). Who knows?

Super $500 Myth Project

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home