Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Thursday, August 11, 2005

IBM SoulPad

I just heard about the IBM SoulPad on Engadget. The SoulPad allows you to hibernate your computer to a removable device (Like an iPod), plug that iPod into another SoulPad and resume working. IBM claims that it takes about 30 seconds to Hibernate and about 3 minutes to resume.

When you plug the device into the USB port, the SoulPad will detect it and boot up, you guessed it, Knoppix to detect any changed hardware (I guess Windows is too stupid to do that for itself). Then it asks for a password. You can stick a USB stick in another USB port and hit enter. It then loads Windows back up just as if nothing happend.

In my opinion, there are some problems with this. I know that Hibernation in Windows takes up about 500 MB. For iPods, this will be fine. For smaller things like Cell Phones, I'm not sure...

I also don't think Linux will be supported, but it damn well should be. Why the hell would they use Knoppix to help restore the computer and not support it?

And what's the chance that you and your friend would both have IBM SoulPads?

Besides that, I really don't know why I would want to bring my work to my friend's computer. Especially if it is a Laptop. If you need to show them something, just bring it over there. We're forgetting the whole purpose of a Laptop!!!

Video (14 MB WMV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home