Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Monday, July 18, 2005

More Fedora Fun

Remember yesterday when I said that I was going to use yum to update the system? I lied. I tried to use yum to update the whole system, and couldn't. In the process I also learned why people generally prefer apt to yum - it's so freakin slow! Apt took about 20 seconds to determine which packages need to be updated, removed, newly installed, etc. Yum took about 10 minutes to do that. It had to first download headers for the one site in my yum.conf file, and I believe it does this every time it installs something (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). It then checked which packages on the system needed to be updated (which didn't take that long), and after that it found what dependencies each package needed, but it did that about 5 times. I got bored and left. I came back a few minutes later, only to see that it couldn't update because it was missing about 15 dependencies, which apt didn't seem to find.

Hmm... I still have a functional Fedora distribution, why not try the RedHat network program that I haven't tried. I opened it up, and it downloaded all the updates it could find. I left about 3/4 into the downloading process and came back to find that it was done and could start installing. I hit next to begin, but halfway into the install process it rebooted again. GRR!

As I thought back to the dreadful days of Windows XP on this computer, I can now remember that this computer used to reboot at random times often! The only reason I could think of was the overclocking that I was doing (my CPU is actually 600 MHz, but overclocked to 900 MHz). I re-installed Fedora, this time with Gnome (and without KDE). I rebooted and disabled the overclocking.

When it booted into Fedora again, I tried the apt update. It updated thw whole system, but still left me without apt afterwards and a disfunctional rpm. I applied the fix to rpm (by installing a version of SELinux) and used yum to install apt again (with 'yum install apt' - kind of odd to type) and it worked :)

This time, since there's no KDE, I don't have the problem I did last time. I now have a fully updated Fedora system with apt and many repositories that only took 6 fresh installs to do.

I plan on doing what I origonaly intended to do and install MythTV tomorrow.

(BTW, this was posted in Fedora)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home