Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Longhorn, soon to be "Windows Vista"

This is a couple days late, but I just found out about it.
Apparently, Microsoft has decided to call their next release "Windows Vista", which was Longhorn up until now.

From Wikipedia, here's their logo:


In my opinion, that name just sounds stupid (anyone agree with me?). Really, the term "XP" was cooler.

I have actually been able to play around with a pre-alpha copy of Longhorn (since I have an MSDN license, go figure). While I admit it wasn't on a "real" computer, it was in MS Virtual PC. I was emulating 320 MB of ram, and it was very slow. This looks like the most memory-hogging release of windows to date (may I mention that newer distros with window managers like XFCE can run under 64 MB of ram?). Out of a fresh, clean install, it was slow.

And I absolutely HATE what they did with the desktop. They have this annoyingly huge bar along the right of the screen which contains an oversize analog clock, quick launch, system tray, etc. It is possible to click a button to go into the taskbar, but then it is not easy to find things. Grr...

Anyway, looking at the Wikipeida article, there are going to be some new "features" that look like they have been in other Operating Systems for a little while (especially OS X). It is supposed to have the ability to record DVDs (and it's only a matter of time before someone hacks that to do something "illegal"...).

Looking further into the Wikipedia article, they are now dropping the "My" extention from everything, which can be good and bad at the same time. Me, I hate seeing the constant My's in there all the time. Go into My Computer, then My Documents, then My pictures... ugh. However, some people are used to it and will probably be annoyed without them there.

Anyway, I think I'll get the latest build of "Vista" (god I hate saying that) and put a review on here.

May the Penguin be with you :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home