Why does nothing rhyme with Linux???

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Gary McKinnon, Hacker

I found this from Slashdot. There is a hacker in the UK named Gary McKinnon, who hacked US Government computers to find any evidence of things to do with UFOs. It sounds like he believes more that we created UFOs which have anti-gravity technology, with extra-terrestrial origin.

He was arrested and made bail. He then did an interview with BBC. Of course, being interested in things like Hacking and UFOs, I listened. About 6 minutes into the interview, he said this:

"I did a lot of research on the web and found out that a lot of the military used Windows, and having realized this, I assumed it would probably be quite an easy hack if they hadn't secured it properly. And it was even easier than I first thought. I downloaded lots of commercially avaliable programs, and if you scan a large network, you find eventually there's a few hundred machines with blank administrator level passwords"

And after hearing that, the BBC interviewer said this:

"It sure seems astonishing that anyone at that level in any of these organizations, the American Army, Navy, Air Force, and so on, that they would use those systems without effective passwords"

The sad truth is that a majority of Windows users do not have an admisistrator password. Why? For a couple reasons.

  1. They don't know the risk
  2. They don't know how, and had Windows pre-installed on their computer
Should I mention that Linux forces you to have a root password?

Anyway, here's the interview. If you just want to hear this part, skip ahead to 6:38

1 Comments:

  • At 7/24/2005 10:11:00 PM, Blogger Justin said…

    Maybe 'majority' was a poor choice of a word (probably just a little more than 50%), but all of my friends who use Windows have no administrator password. I'm sure that lots of security-alert 'newbie' Windows users have passwords, but I have a hard time believing that more do then don't.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home